The CryoTEMPO-EOLIS point product is a set of high quality CryoSat swath altimetry point data with uncertainty metrics applied. This product is designed to be user-friendly; for use by non-altimetry experts. Due to the high volume of data, the data has been split into tiles of 100x100km in size.
- Platform & Acquisition: CryoSat-2 SARin mode
- Geographic Coverage: Greenland, Iceland, Svalbard, Canadian Arctic, Russian Arctic, Alaska, Antarctica, Southern Andes, Asia
- Temporal Coverage - Baseline 2: from January 2023 for all regions. Data available from 2 months prior to the current month.
- Temporal Coverage - previous Baseline (1): from July 2010 for Greenland and Antarctica, from July 2021 for Iceland, Svalbard, Canadian Arctic, Russian Arctic, Alaska and Southern Andes, and from October 2021 for Asia
- Temporal Resolution: Monthly
- Data Format: NetCDF
- Data Contributors: Noel Gourmelen, Livia Jakob, Carolyn Michael, Martin Ewart, Jerome Bouffard, Alessandro Di Bella, Sophie Dubber, Andrea Incatasciato, Jonathan Alford, Tristan Goss, Oskar Fraser-Krauss
- Cite As: “EOLIS elevation data generated using swath processing of CryoSat data (Gourmelen, N., Escorihuela, M., Shepherd, A., Foresta, L., Muir, A., Garcia-Mondejar, A., Roca, M., Baker, S., & Drinkwater, M. R. (2018)) and provided by the ESA CryoTEMPO project (https://cryotempo-eolis.org/).”
- References: Gourmelen, N., Escorihuela, M., Shepherd, A., Foresta, L., Muir, A., Garcia-Mondejar, A., Roca, M., Baker, S., & Drinkwater, M. R. (2018). CryoSat-2 swath interferometric altimetry for mapping ice elevation and elevation change. Advances in Space Research, 62(6), 1226-1242. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.asr.2017.11.014
The point product contains the following variables:
- time (time in seconds)
- x (geographic coordinate) or lon (degrees)
- y (geographic coordinate) or lat (degrees)
- elevation (metres)
- uncertainty (metres)
- is_swath (1 for Swath, 0 for POCA)
- input_file_id (id of L1b and L2 underlying products)
Coordinate reference system:
For Greenland, Iceland, Svalbard, Canadian Arctic, Russian Arctic, Alaska:
- EPSG:3413 || +proj=stere +lat_0=90 +lat_ts=70 +lon_0=-45 +k=1 +x_0=0 +y_0=0 +datum=WGS84 +units=m +no_defs
- EPSG:3031 || +proj=stere +lat_0=-90 +lat_ts=-71 +lon_0=0 +k=1 +x_0=0 +y_0=0 +datum=WGS84 +units=m +no_defs
- EPSG:4326 || +proj=longlat +ellps=WGS84 +datum=WGS84 +no_defs
The product handbook acts as a user guide and contains high level algorithm descriptions as well as an overview of file structure:
Algorithm Technical Baseline Document:
For more in-depth explanations of underlying algorithms, please refer the Algorithm Technical Baseline Document (ATBD):
Tutorials and Tools
The Demos & Tutorials page contains links to interactive python notebooks, that allow you to download and interactive with the EOLIS gridded product.
Feedback and Queries
Feedback or questions about the CryoTEMPO-EOLIS Thematic Products is welcomed. Please use the following contact details:
Or alternatively, get in touch using our Contact Form
DOWNLOAD THE DATA
There are two ways to download the EOLIS point product: 1) directly from the ESA FTP server, or 2) from http://cs2eo.org, a geospatial-temporal query platform for earth observation data.
Use the following link to access the ESA server and directly download any available point data.
The folder structure on the ESA Science Server is: TEMPO_SWATH_POINT/YYYY/MM/<ZONE>
The file naming convention is: CS_OFFL_THEM_POINT_<ZONE>_<YYYY>_<MM>_<X>_<Y>_<VERSION> where ZONE is the region name e.g. GREENLAND. Note that X and Y are polar coordinates.
Data tile locations: A Shapefile (.shp) containing the data tile locations is available in each monthly folder in tar file format: CS_OFFL_THEM_POINT_<ZONE>_<YYYY>_<MM>.tgz
The CryoTEMPO-EOLIS download service provided by cs2eo.org allows for interactive visualisation of available point product data. It provides a flexible, user-friendly service for querying the data, allowing you to:
- Specifiy a query area using Lat/Long or a drawn polygon
- Specifiy the start and end dates and times of your query
- Immediately visualise the data coverage of the results of your query
To get started as new user, navigate to one of the Custom Query Examples shown below and explore the possiblities.
Exploring the Point Product coverage on cs2eo.org